Friday, February 15, 2008

Forgive and Let Go

Today I wrote a "Let Go Letter" (see link below in External Links post). I have written forgiveness letters before but I still had something stuck in me since I wrote 8 pages of the pain in my past that was still hiding inside of me. Apparently it started with my father hitting me at the dinner table when I was small and grew into a lifetime of fear and shame of lack of self-love and the inability to stand up for myself. At least that's what I wrote to myself in the letter. It's surprising how your consciousness can tie small events from your past together to show you what's holding you put pen to paper and write continuously. The story unfolded as I went on, remembering past pains.

When it was through, I put the letter down for 4 hours and then lit a fire in my bar-b-que. I re-read the letter and burned it page by page. I said a few words to my father, who had played a major role in the pain of my younger years and who is now passed and can never hurt his family again. And I forgave him.

I have a sense of peace now. Who knows what effect writing the letter will have, or if I will have to write another, but for now I have peace.

No comments: